πŸ•Ί Life on the Outside πŸŽ₯

 

The Breakfasts are way better!πŸ˜‹πŸ³


81 days post stroke

I’ve been home for just over a month...Figure I’m long overdue for an update on my progress.  Just being around the house has been good for my rehab. Unlike the cocoon that was my hospital room/floor, it requires a lot more effort just getting around and getting things done.  

The time between Inpatient rehab and outpatient rehab is normally about a two week gap.  During this time there is something called the LHIN (local health integration network) that provides in-home Physio and occupational therapy visits.  I received visits from both with varying degrees of success. Unfortunately, because of Covid, this two week gap has now grown to six weeks.   I am going to the outpatient rehab clinic (called STEP-UP), at Oakville hospital this Thursday for my assessment...Hoping that I will then begin 8 weeks of rehab there.

I have supplemented the in-home visits with two or three days a week at a private neurological Physio clinic. My physiotherapist there, named Ruth, has been incredible. She has been helping me recover from a shoulder injury sustained from the paralysis, and is also helping with my gait, and other ailments.  I am also able to do my own physio at home on days when I don’t go to the clinic.

Thera-Band
Hard at work with Ruth
Toe separation 
K-tape



I’m always making videos of my progress… This is me walking by the lake on Labour Day weekend. You can see me wearing the AFO, helping with my foot drop. I’m trying to get away from wearing it as much as possible to help strengthen my ankle on its own.
πŸšΆπŸƒ
In the following video, you can really see what I’m working on with my left foot…





One of the best ways to rehab is to just get out and DO things...

Family picnic by the lake

Mini golf with the kids (and my walker)
Picking up Lucy from first day of school
Wine tastingπŸ™„


On the morning of my stroke, Jillian and I visited the Agawa campground visitor centre where we saw a painting that we both loved. We thought ‘let’s think about it for a day and if we still love it, we can come back tomorrow and buy it’. Well, things happened and we never got back to that visitor center. But we did end up buying that painting and after much effort, we had it shipped to us just in time as a 16th anniversary present to ourselves.  It will forever be a reminder of that fateful day.
Happy Anniversary to US. ♥️
A view for Lorna, Lake Superior 




Tomorrow starts a busy couple weeks with follow up appointments with cardiology, haematology and neurology.  Assuming I start at STEP-UP next week and continue to see Ruth at the clinic, I will hopefully continue to see improvements.  I’ll keep the camera rolling and update you along the way.  πŸŽ₯ 



 ♥️πŸ’ͺ🦢


Comments

  1. Looking good, Adam. Loved reading the update. Keep up the amazing work! Love you, buddy xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing and definitely a good progress! Kill it Adam, you can do it!!!
    Love to see all the pictures of your activities with the family, best therapy ever!!! πŸ˜πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see these videos..we still are with you every step of the way!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to get the update and encouraging to hear of your progress and hard work.The posting inspiring and lovely to see you are also taking time to relax and play with your beautiful family. This stroke chose the wrong dude..you've got this Adam.!

      Delete
  5. Great to see you're keeping up your spirits and fantastic progress Adam. Spoke to your Mum yesterday and she told me blog is still going..I didn't see any for a while, but I'm up to date now.
    Good work.
    I'm the Ciska from NL, as I guess you'll know by my message. However...it's still strange to see my name from an unknown source. Colleague maybe?
    All the best for a continuing recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see the progress made ! More importantly...did you make that short putt ???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In sickness and in health 🀡 πŸ‘°

Spasticity πŸ§